The HOT days of summer are already upon us. And, your colon relies on being well hydrated to properly function for you. Good hydration should always be a priority, but especially right now as we brace for a heat wave. Here are my top six ways to stay hydrated:
- Keep water readily available – Have a water bottle handy throughout the entire day. Or have a few; one at your desk, one to toss in your car and one keeping cool in the refrigerator.
- Track your intake – An easy rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in fluid ounces daily. For example, a 150-pound person should drink 75 fluid ounces of water per day, that’s about 9.5 cups. Your water bottles should have an ounce label somewhere on the bottle. Keep that in mind throughout the day and track it to reach your goal.
- Try infused water – Why not? It makes drinking water more fun. Add slices of fruit, herbs or even cucumbers to your water. It’s delicious.
- Use a reminder app – Apps like Waterlogged, Daily Water Free and Water Your Body allow you to set reminders to drink water and allow you to record the amount consumed. Or you can just set a calendar reminder for a check in every hour or so.
- Dilute & replace sugary beverages – If you’re used to sweet drinks, try a baby step. Dilute them with half water to ween yourself off of them. Sweet tea, fruit juice and lemonade can still be delicious even at half strength. Replace sodas with sparkling water.
- Eat hydrating foods – If drinking that much water throughout the day feels hard, make sure you are eating lots of water-rich fruits and vegetables. Things like cucumber and watermelon are especially high in water and can help you reach your intake goal.
And, remember, drinking all that water is great for your entire body. Your skin will glow and your colon will thank you!